Active members should hold an important or responsible post in neurosurgery carrying with it responsibilities for graduate, undergraduate, or postgraduate teaching in a university or clinic setting.
Excellence in the practice and study of surgery of the nervous system should have been demonstrated by prospective members.
Candidates approved by the council can be elected by three-quarters affirmative vote of members present at the annual meeting.
Membership Committee Responsibilities
The Membership Committee will consist of three members. One will be appointed by the President each year to serve three years and be chair during the third year. The Membership Committee will seek out candidates in all categories for membership in the Society. The committee will accumulate essential information about each proposed member and recommend to the Executive Council at its interim meeting individuals who they consider worthy of membership. Each individual proposed must be approved by the Council at its interim meeting before submission to the membership of the Society as a whole for vote. Race, creed, color, sex and religious preferences will not be factors for determining membership at any time. The outgoing committee chair shall send curricula vitae and photos of newly elected members to the Historian.
Nomination Process for SNS membership
Any practicing neurosurgeon can be nominated for membership in the SNS. However, as the "senior society" with a focus on the neurosurgical education, it is expected that nominees will be senior members of the neurosurgical community with extensive experience in neurosurgical education and teaching.
Candidates for membership in the SNS may be nominated by any SNS member. The nominating member becomes the candidate's sponsor.
- The nomination process is initiated by clicking on "Click here to proceed with nomination process" at the bottom of this page.
- You are taken to the SNS Nomination page. Scroll all the way to the bottom and click on "Sponsor a New SNS Member".
- The sponsoring member will be able to add a nominee by searching for their name in the search box provided.
- The sponsor should then upload a nominating (sponsoring) letter for the candidate to the Membership Committee Chair.
- Next, the sponsor should request additional letters of support from two other SNS members in good standing. These letters should be sent directly to the sponsor for uploading to the candidate's file.
- IMPORTANT: After uploading the initial nominating letter, the sponsor should click the "Notify Nominee by Email" link provided at the bottom of the page. This will generate an email to the nominee requesting that they log in to the SNS membership site to complete the additional information necessary for the consideration of their nomination. Specifically, the nominee will be asked to complete a Nominee Information Form, as well as submit a current Curriculum Vitae and passport style photograph.
It is the responsibility of the sponsor to ensure that the nominee's file is complete in time for review by the Membership Committee.
Once completed, the nominee's file will be reviewed by the Membership Committee. After review and rank ordering by the Membership Committee, candidates for membership will be presented by the Membership Committee Chair to the SNS Executive Council at its December meeting. The SNS Council will select a slate of candidates to be presented by the Membership Committee Chair at the next annual meeting. Candidates selected by the council can be elected by three-quarters affirmative vote of members present at the annual meeting.
Once an application for membership in the SNS is completed, it will be reviewed by the Membership Committee for up to three consecutive years. If a candidate has not been selected for membership within that time period (three years), the application will become inactive. At that point, the candidate will not be considered further, unless a new application process is initiated by a sponsoring member.
All documentation including letters, updated CVs and photos are to be submitted no later than 10/1/2018.
Click here to proceed with nomination process
Thank you for your nomination
Matthew G. Ewend, MD